Return to England after teaching overseas

A teacher smiling stood infront of a classroom full of students during a lesson

Get support if you’re a UK citizen thinking about returning from overseas to teach in England. The skills, experience and perspective you’ve gained outside the UK are highly valued by schools and headteachers. 

If you’re a non-UK citizen, read our guidance for international trainees and teachers

Check your qualifications 

Before you start looking for teaching jobs, check which qualifications you need to teach in England. 

Qualified teacher status (QTS) is a legal requirement to teach in many English schools. Even where QTS is not a legal requirement, many schools use it to assess the quality of candidates. 

If you trained in the UK 

If you completed your teacher training in England, you should already have QTS. You can check this with the Teaching Regulation Agency

If you do not have QTS

If you trained as a teacher or have gained teaching experience outside the UK, you can learn more about the best route to QTS for your circumstances

Get help and support 

Find out: 

Before you apply for teaching jobs in England 

Get ready to apply by: 

Find a teaching job in England 

You can search for a teaching job in England through the government’s official Teaching Vacancies service. 

Set up job alerts so you don’t miss out on new roles.